For instantly changing your existing hairstyle you can always try highlighting strands of your hair. Hair highlighting! How to go about it? Find out all about hair highlighting and some guidelines for the same, here.
Want to improve your looks by highlighting your hair? You can lighten and brighten your hair through highlighting some sections of your hair. But remember to follow the following hair highlighting tips:
Before Hair Highlighting
- If you want to color your hair at home go for a through research on home highlighting kits.
- Read all the instructions carefully provided in the home hair color kit.
- If possible go to a hair color expert for hair highlighting.
- Try to get hold of the desired color for your hair.
- Try to maintain the hair color from fading or getting washed away soon.
Pre Color Care
To keep your highlights bright and fresh for an extended time you need to take care of certain things before applying highlights to your hair. They are:
- Keep your hair healthy. It should be in tip top condition. Before applying chemical colors make sure your hair is well hydrated.
- Do not apply new color on previously colored strands of hair. Apply new color on virgin hair. Virgin hair is the hair that has never been chemically treated or colored. On virgin hair you get best results.
- Shampoo your hair. Use an acid balanced shampoo because it will not strip the natural oils, keeping your hair and scalp healthy. Moisturizing shampoos which coat the strands and leave a build up that blocks color absorption should be avoided.
- Condition your hair.
- Styling products such as gels and hair sprays should be avoided couple of days before hair highlighting. They coat the hair and block the color from being absorbed, properly.
Process of Hair Highlighting
The process of hair highlighting is relatively simple.
- Section your hair into individual sections.
- Place the strands under a slice of foil.
- Apply color form the roots of your hair down to the selected strands.
- Once you have painted the strands fold the foil over the selected section.
- Set the time for the process of hair highlighting depending on the natural color of your hair and the shades you have chosen for highlighting.
Post Color Care
To make your hair color last longer you should:
- Wait 48 hours after the application of the color before washing your hair. If possible wait for longer time because the longer you wait for shampooing your hair after highlighting, the better is the chance of keeping the hair color vibrant for a long time.
- Use shampoos and conditioners that are specially designed for chemically treated hair.
- Avoid using hot water When you shampoo your hair. Highlights get faded instantly when you use hot water.
- Shampoo occasionally.
- Use color depositing hair care and styling products like shampoos, conditioners, gels,and hair sprays to deposit lost color back into your hair.